[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Tue Jul 2 11:26:11 UTC 2013

On 07/01/13 17:49, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
> I thought it was wrong because the gateway was the same as my nic address.

On an interface route, the next hop address is the interface itself.  I
think you're staring at the wrong issue.

Drop back to basics.  What works?  Have you tried using "ping -n" with
numeric addresses to avoid DNS resolution?  Can you ping local addresses
on the 192.168 network?  If so, can you ping anything beyond that network?

Have you tried testing DNS resolution by itself?  What happens if you
use "nslookup" to resolve an address?

Have you tried using snoop or ethereal to look at any of the packets on
the wire to try to find out where things go wrong?

>> What is in /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf?  Is it possible that
>> you're just having a problem with DNS?
>>

> There have been times that I have thought that this was a DNS issue, but I don't see how this can be just that, as I cannot ping a known, workable host on the internet.
>
> I cannot even ping the router at 192.168.0.1

"Cannot" doesn't help here.  I want *exact* command lines and *exact*
output.  Character for character.  A description of the problem is
unhelpful.

> The /etc/nsswitch.conf is the stock OI configuration.  I have not changed anything in it.

That doesn't answer my question.

> /etc/resolv.conf was empty.  I put "nameserver 192.168.0.1" in it, did a "svcadm restart network", but it did not seem to change anything with the netstat command.

It sure sounds like you're not configured for DNS at all.  And
restarting the "network" service doesn't really have anything to do with
the /etc/resolv.conf file.

Given the fact that your network is addressed using RFC 1918 addresses
and that you're using the Cisco device as your NAT, I'm rather surprised
that you're not using DHCP to supply addresses and configuration
information to your network systems.  Besides being simpler to set up,
it likely would have avoided most of the problems I suspect you're having.

I think you might need more help than is possible via email.  Do you
have any local UNIX system administration folks you can talk to?