[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Tue Jul 2 20:40:12 UTC 2013

On 07/02/13 16:16, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
> As you can see, the entries for /etc/resolv.conf are no longer there.  (This also happened to me before, when I was fighting with this on the other machine this past Saturday.  I think it has to do with the network manager software.)

This happens when the system is configured to use DHCP or NWAM.  You
should probably google those terms and read up on them.  I somewhat
suspect NWAM here.

By default, the system comes set up for *automatic* network
configuration, so that you should be able to plug it in and just run
with it without hassle.  If you really want to set up static network
configuration instead, you have to jump through some hoops.  I'd start
with this:

svcadm disable svc:/network/physical:nwam
svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default

I can't recommend that as a great solution for everyone ... but if
you're bound and determined to do static configuration, it's a start.

> I am confused about the ping command working with the "-v" and the "-n" switches, but not with the "-Rvs", but maybe that is to be expected.

That nails it as a name resolution problem.

> So, assuming this is simply a DNS issue, how do I configure it to see those nameservers without them getting lost again?

Yes; just disable the automatic configuration services.

> Or is there some other way to get the DNS working?

As has been noted several times before, you MUST make sure that
/etc/nsswitch.conf is set up to use DNS.  Or go through one of the GUIs
or SMF things that does this for you.  (Frankly, I grew up with UNIX
systems, so the idea of using some sort of tool to do it rather than
editing the configuration files seems a bit weird to me, but do whatever
you feel comfortable with.)

> ICMP Port Unreachable from gateway tryphon.ds (127.0.0.1)
>  for udp from tryphon.ds (127.0.0.1) to tryphon.ds (127.0.0.1) port 53

Looks like you're configured to get name service from yourself, and
that's not going to work unless you're running a name server on this system.