[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Jul 2 22:11:52 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-02 23:41, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>> I created an /etc/hostname.bnx0 file with the following:
>>
>> 69.146.183.59
>>

> This should contain your hostname, not the IP !
>
> Be sure to put this 'IP hostname' in /etc/hosts !

This is a good idea, but mostly for manageability (one place to change
the name/IP address for several reasons you might need that change).
Otherwise, technically, using explicit numbers is okay.

It seems that the ISP did provide an 8-address block of routable IP
addresses, so the default /24 netmask assigned to the interface is
not correct (though it is not quite a problem unless you need to
contact hosts on other ranges of the subnet). To fix this properly
you'd need to update the /etc/netmasks file with this entry:

69.146.183.56   255.255.255.248

To apply the change "svcadm restart physical:default" should suffice.
You can then verify the result in "ifconfig" output - the netmask on
bnx0 should change from ffffff00 to fffffff8.

>> myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# rm /etc/defaultrouter
>
> No, don't remove this ! You had it right.
>
>>> So, I'm still stuck with /etc/resolv.conf getting
>  >> overwritten, even with nwam disabled!
>
> This should not happen with nwam and dhcp disabled, you
> may mixed up something here. Reboot to be sure that all
> the automatic stuff is really gone.
>
>  >>>
>  >>> But I still really need help getting DNS working!!!
>  >>>

> You MUST use the correct /etc/nsswitch.conf for dns ,
> otherwise it WILL fail.
>
>  > myadmin at tryphon.ds:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
>  > domain  ds
>  > search ds
>  > nameserver  192.168.0.151
>
> This looks like its correct.

... if the given address 192.168.0.151 does host a DNS server to
resolve both local names (apparently, in the .ds top-level private
domain) and internet names :)

//Jim