[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 2 23:45:24 UTC 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>> I put the following in my /etc/resolv.conf file:
>> nameserver 69.144.49.30
>> nameserver 69.146.17.2
>
> Of course, if 192.168.0.151 is a stealth local DNS
> slave server (I used such a beast for many years),
> this can work... I can't find that IP in any of the
> posts, so I wonder from where this pops up now.

I never mentioned the 192.168.0.151 router before because it was only on the network for a short time last week.  It has not been on or attached to anything for days...

The big server I'd like to use here is still giving me trouble.  I can ping, dig, and nslookup hosts outside our network; but whenever I try to browse the net with Firefox, it can't find any hosts at all.

That's even after turning off all of the ipv4-routing and ipv4-forwarding, changing all the zones to not start up at boot time, and rebooting.  This is with just the server itself running, with no non-global zones running.

Does anyone have any idea why that might be?

I'm all beat up.  I need to call it a day.

I have a "simpler" OI box that works -- and still works.  I'm half-tempted to just move everything over from the other server to it, configure everything in the global zone, just use it, and be happy.

Or possibly drop back to a very early boot environment on the server I wanted to use, and see if I can get it to see the net.  If so, reconfigure it with everything in the global zone and see if I can get it to work that way.

I don't know.

I have to call it a day.

I appreciate all the help, everyone!  I appreciate it very much!

Thank you.

Peter, hieromonk