[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Jul 3 02:27:44 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-03 01:59, James Carlson wrote:
> On 7/2/2013 6:11 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
>> properly you'd need to update the /etc/netmasks file with this
>> entry:
>>
>> 69.146.183.56   255.255.255.248
>
> /etc/netmasks is so 1980s.  I suggest "/24" (CIDR notation) instead.
> It's simpler to use and doesn't have the sketchy matching heuristics
> that /etc/netmasks uses.

And where would you suggest I put this? Into the /etc/hostname.XXX
entry directly (and generally repeat for each interface on this net,
though irrelevant for this discussion - Peter only has one per zone)?

BTW, do you have any opinion on ipadm and whether it would be easier
to configure with it vs. nwam or old-school static files? Can ipadm
conflict with these two methods, or would it provide addressing info
to both of them (whichever is enabled)?

Thanks,
//Jim