[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using OI and zfs from a windows machine

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Jul 3 18:24:47 UTC 2013

> From: Harry Putnam [mailto:reader at newsguy.com]
>
> When I did run OI, I had recurring problems with various permissions
> type problems when accessing the zfs server from windows.

Technically supported.  I personally wouldn't trust ... and your complaint adds validation to my superstition.

I personally configure samba to not join any windows domain.  Just have local user accounts inside the samba box.  Manage all the perms with chown/chmod.  Keep it simple and well within the beaten path.

> Working from windows across a gigabit network on a zfs server.  Didn't
> seem to work well... I'm talking about running adobe tools on files
> from windows when the files are on a zfs server across the network.
>
> The problems I remember best were sloth and freezups on the windows
> machine.
>
> So, all I really want to know right now is if that should be entirely
> possible .. and if there are users here who do that daily that can
> vouch for it.

I do it regularly.  The trick is configuring samba.  I found the built-in cifs server to be crap, and switched to the actual samba service.  The reason it's tricky to configure is cuz ... OI doesn't come with any sample config files, and try as I might, I simply can't get SWAT to run on OI.  So I created a linux machine, ran swat on the linux machine, and then copied over the smb.conf file and destroyed linux.

I'll happily provide my documentation, on how I configured my server, if desired.

> Or maybe gigabit just isn't a big enough pipe for heavy graphics work?

With a 1Gbit link, you should get performance very comparable to a single locally attached disk.