[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using OI and zfs from a windows machine

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Wed Jul 3 20:08:56 UTC 2013

On 03/07/13 20:49, Robbie Crash wrote:
> I always see this bandied about. Following the Oracle documentation on how
> to join OI to a domain for the built in CIFS serving has worked for me,
> flawlessly on 10 different OI installations.
>
> Every time I hear about people with issues with it, they're always using
> Samba. What benefit does using an additional module have over the built in
> CIFS server? Is it just that people want to use smb.conf instead of
> managing shares through zfs set sharesmb?

Samba in general is much better documented, and has other advantages
like crossing FS boundaries, The main CIFS advantage is supposed to be
its performance (which I've yet not compared).

> The ACLs for ZFS shares give me
> as granular permissions as I get on Windows, and there's no mucking about
> with manual permissions changes on the OI side after they've been set
> initially; changing the permissions from Windows works as it would on a
> native Windows share.

I remember there was a lot of permission mucking needed when sharing
with CIFS, and Samba also allows to handle ZFS permissions from the
Windows clients. It's pretty much the same experience there.
Of course, Samba also allows to have snapshots show as shadow copies,
and to set up a network recycle bin on shares, which can come in handy.

Also, I understand the CIFS server is designed to work with an AD. My
poor experience with it might be because I always tried it as standalone.

Laurent