[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using OI and zfs from a windows machine

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Jul 4 02:09:54 UTC 2013

On Thursday, July 04, 2013 02:49 AM, Robbie Crash wrote:

>> Technically supported.  I personally wouldn't trust ... and your complaint
>> adds validation to my superstition.
>>
>> I personally configure samba to not join any windows domain.  Just have
>> local user accounts inside the samba box.  Manage all the perms with
>> chown/chmod.  Keep it simple and well within the beaten path.
>
> I always see this bandied about. Following the Oracle documentation on how
> to join OI to a domain for the built in CIFS serving has worked for me,
> flawlessly on 10 different OI installations.

Good for you. It partially worked for me. Access was only possible via
\\ip.addr and not \\shortname. The latency using cifs was really good
compared to samba but alas, access via \\ip.addr is not secured and
therefore I ran into other problems and had to switch to samba.

> Every time I hear about people with issues with it, they're always using
> Samba. What benefit does using an additional module have over the built in
> CIFS server? Is it just that people want to use smb.conf instead of
> managing shares through zfs set sharesmb? The ACLs for ZFS shares give me
> as granular permissions as I get on Windows, and there's no mucking about
> with manual permissions changes on the OI side after they've been set
> initially; changing the permissions from Windows works as it would on a
> native Windows share.

Well, I hear, for one, conflicting information on SMB2 support. samba
3.5 has some smb2 support while 3.6 does support smb2. samba does the
full kerberos while built-in only does ntlm-v2. Not to mention other
things that are possible with samba but which may or may not be things
you want/need so I won't mention them.