[OpenIndiana-discuss] USB Audio & Webcam audio device or input audio aka USB Microphone issue.

gary perreault bsdg33kclub at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 04:03:59 UTC 2013

Hey How is everyone?  I'm Gary and new to Oi Solaris.

I just want to start out thanks for a great fork of OpenSolaris and i'm
really enjoying this system alot.

Everything works good, Except one sort of annoying problem, and trying to
resolved this.

I am new to this system , learn the system quite quickly just the problem
with the usb input audio device.

Device Name: Microsoft Lifecam CinemaTM
Video: Works very good with the the drive you provide :) No issue
Audio Input: Ok here is where the problem is.   The Audio Device does work,
but very limited usasage if any.  If i use the device once it will do its
thing work good record good and all that nice stuff.  If I want to use the
device again like later... it will freeze X or Hang X or however you want
to call it.  It crash my entire system.. Crash X with any audio recording
program in cheese the camera works good if i'm only taking pictures.  As
soon as I want to test out a video, it of course search for the mic device
which is on the same device as the video is. Cheese Crash and so does X and
i can;t do anything when it crash like that.  I have to manually reset the
system << NOT GOOD.

It took alot of crashes and all that to realize it was the usb input audio
as i test out ffmpeg ( i do screencast with it ) works good on other open
source platform like all BSD and yep Linux of course haha.  The device does
however works (when it is working) but it can also crash X if i use it alot
if i use it only once it will work.. after that no point in using as it
will crash.   I test out ffmpeg screencasting without it using a mic or any
input audio ... i done about 10 videos with no crashing of X << so that
tells me something with the USB driver having perhaps a conflict with some
libs or the device itself.

I learn to see there is another usb driver call usb_as .. maybe usb_ac is
what causing the problem.  Like I said i'm not the bestest at OpenIndiana
or OpenSolaris at that.  I really love this system alot was a die hard
linux user and i ditch that for BSD .. was a addicted BSD user, but now
something about Solaris that i Just love i dont know how to explain it.  It
just became a hardcore hobby in the last 2 weeks playing with this system
and i got to say its the best Open Source system i ever use or best OS ...
not kissing ass, but i'm just being honest how i feel about this system I
really love Oi.

This is why I sign up the mail list to have some help with any info
anything doesnt matter what it is any related info you think that could
help me just let it rip .. i'm willing to do the research as will with any
replied back.   I just need some hints or more info about the usb audio
device .. the analog onboard works good .. dont ask me to use the onboard
mic in as it doesnt work on this mobo... i wish it would as i would just go
ahead and used that.

On freebsd and netbsd and openbsd they all use some sort of SUN audio
system eh and OSS4 if im not mistaken the label this device uaudio0 and the
mic works on all 3 platform.  I am well aware that Oi is not BSD or Linux i
know its solaris :) but i know the device some what and i'm sore we can
sort this out.   You also add that Microsoft Lifecam Cinema Video Webcam
works on Solaris I took pictures works good , no issues .. just a bit of
the audio input other than that the device is quite good for Solaris system.

Thanks for reading , and i'm hoping to get some good useful feedback.

Thanks once again :)
Have a good one !

Cheers
Gary --IRC-freenode-Nick: SUNgh0st