[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems with dbus / Orbit

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Sun Jul 7 10:37:12 UTC 2013

Openindiana 157a8 hipster, fresh update from a7:

I'm totally lost, after a premature Ctrl-C on a pfexec packagemanager,
I cannot start it anymore in pfexec mode (local machine, no NFS):

   ~: pfexec packagemanager
   GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible
   causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or
   you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
   http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1:
   @@@@@@@@@@@
   Failed to get connection to session: Unable to autolaunch when setuid)
   @@@@@@@@@@@
   Segmentation fault

I hunted for several hours now to find the remnant file
that causes that, but I cannot locate it. What I did up to now:

- reboot
- rolled back my home prior to the Ctrl-C accident, reboot
- moved /root out of the way, reboot
- deleted all instances of /var/tmp/orbit-*,reboot
- deleted /var/lib/dbus,/var/gdm/dbus, reboot
- killed all dbus services, gconfd instances, no way

Tried pfexec truss -f packagemanager, but then, curiously,
it works !??

Can start it as user (readonly) and as root, but neither
pfexec nor the Gnome menu entry work anymore.

Any idea where this dam*** locking file lurks around ?
How can I check with dtrace which files it reads ?
I'm very near the point now where I'll go back to a7
and reinstall hipster....