[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 151_a7 crashing when trying to import ZFS pool

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 19:14:20 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM, CJ Keist <cj.keist at colostate.edu> wrote:
> On 7/8/13 11:49 AM, Jan Owoc wrote:
>>
>> Do you know what zpool version is on there? If it's zpool 28 (i.e.
>> without feature flags), you could try any of a number of other OSes to
>> see if they are able to not crash when importing, and then do a clean
>> export. You may need to go back a few transactions (using zpool import
>> -F).
>
> Thank you.  It is ver 28 ZFS.  this is a supermicro chasis with 36 interal
> drives so i cannot move another system to mount the zfs pools. I could try
> install OpenSolaris or illuminos?  Is there a preference.

You have many options, and I'm probably not the best person to offer a
technical answer. My personal opinion would be to try this order:
1) current Illumos build [1] (maybe bug recently fixed)
2) OpenSolaris (maybe bug introduced recently)
3) FreeBSD 8.x or 9.x (maybe bug specific to Solaris-based implementations)
4) GNU/Linux with ZFSonLinux [2] (independent implementation)
5) current non-free Solaris (maybe Oracle fixed something)

I don't know which distributions of Illumos have the most recent
version from upstream, but some people report success using the
"hipster repo" on OpenIndiana [3]. I haven't tried it myself, so can't
personally vouch for its safety/stability. In most other cases you
don't need to install the OS and could try to do it from a live
session (i.e. quit the installer and drop to terminal).

[1] http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/Distributions
[2] http://zfsonlinux.org/
[3] http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2013-May/002109.html

Cheers,