[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Jul 11 19:48:10 UTC 2013

On 07/11/13 12:30, Laurent Blume wrote:
> Is this Community becoming a closed one, where nothing good can be
> accepted from outside, even when it would provide some welcome relief?

No, I don't think so.  I don't know why you're asking.  At a guess, it
sounds to me like you're somehow extrapolating from how I feel about it
(basically, I don't care very much about CIFS or Samba) to how others
may or may not feel.  That's not likely to produce a result that's
accurate in any sense.

I'm not hostile to it.  I just don't care.  Whether someone else thinks
I *should* care is another matter.  :-/

>> The sole purpose to me is to support a couple of ugly legacy Windoze
>> systems, and the less time I spend thinking about it, the better.
>
> So if you don't really care about serving CIFS, it wouldn't really
> matter to you that they'd come through Samba or anything else?

No, it wouldn't matter.  But lacking the nice ZFS inheritance feature
and being hard to set up would certainly make it less attractive an
answer.  The reason I tried CIFS, lo, many years ago was that it "just
worked."  I didn't have to futz with a pile of text files for a feature
that -- even when it works -- is of extremely low importance *TO ME.*

>> I don't doubt that a Samba developer would feel quite differently.  Your
>> opinion is valid, but it just doesn't apply to me.  :-/
>
> I have no idea how they feel, but I'm sure it'd be better to have them
> involved and aware of OI rather than not.

Sure; no disagreement there.