[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS and openindiana

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jul 12 02:25:23 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-12 02:43, Geoff Nordli wrote:
> The FSRVP could initiate a snapshot from the windows machine.  Right now
> the windows machine consumes snapshots via the previous versions from
> snapshots initiated on the zfs side.

I see. Well, it is different from what I meant, and a standardized
protocol is good for interop and interface (sometime...) ;)

On a side note, you can always make ZFS snapshots via filesystem
interface "mkdir $dataset/.zfs/snapshot/$snapname" over both NFS
and CIFS (at least kCIFS) as well as locally, as long as your user
has proper ZFS delegated permissions. Removing is trickier, since
tools insist on only deleting empty directories, and somehow they
fail to delete contents of a read-only snapshot... bummer ;)

HTH,
//Jim