[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI on HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jul 12 13:37:07 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-12 11:24, John Doe wrote:
> From: Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru>
>
>> Until your mail I did not know they existed, I thought (and was sad)
>> that HP got stuck at the venerable N40L. Following the links from
>> pages on Gen8 (alas, specs are too vague to speculate about driver
>> compatibility)
>
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14565_na/14565_na.pdf
>
> I like: the 2 NICs (vs 1 for the G7), good to make a little firewall without having to add an extra network card.
> I do not like: still no hotplug HDs... when most of the other NAS have it...

Thanks for the link :)

So, the Gen8 has 5 USB2 ports and 2 USB3 ports, which would not leave
illumos OSes unconnected. Apparently, there is also a MicroSD slot -
maybe usable for OS installation separately from data drives.

Second network is good indeed, though possibly with a small network
one would be safer using a dedicated router (like Asus RT-N16 with
TomatoUSB firmware), which could also allow for remote management
of the server hardware (IPMI) over internet while its OS is down.

Also, in case of the two Gen7 servers, one could look for HBA/NIC
cards... I wonder if they still make any such combos available
generally, though...

For me personally, the limitation in possibility of SSD+HDD setups
(the 5.25" bay now missing) and less PCIe slots is disturbing and
looks like a step backwards. Though yes, it does allow for nicer
external design :)

//Jim