[OpenIndiana-discuss] Status of compilers in use for OI

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Jul 13 00:07:11 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-13 00:50, Bryan N Iotti wrote:
> Ok, understood.
>
> That basically seems to make for a very high barrier to contribution and
> a lot of work for those who actually have access to those compilers in
> order to keep everything running.

I guess so, and I guess that's why recent years of illumos-gate
and several bright people's work went into making the kernel
compilable with a GCC, even if specially patched to work for
the illumos-gate. Most third-party software is okay with GCC
as it is for a long time, if not from those projects' starts.

So the barrier for the past few years is not really that high -
at least the kernel part is compilable by GCC and that is one
of requirements for RTI of code into the gate. It may be that
some other consolidations are not GCC-ready yet, though (no idea).

I have a feeling that hipster's reported problems might be just
partially because of a newer-yet-again compiler in use, and for
the rest being about major package version upgrades here and
there.

//Jim