[OpenIndiana-discuss] Status of compilers in use for OI

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Jul 14 15:51:15 UTC 2013

On 07/14/13 07:26 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> By the way, do you know what the corporation's legal stance would be
[...]

Nope - I am neither a lawyer nor a corporate spokesman.  I have never
read the full Studio license, nor would my interpretation hold much sway
if I had.

Required corporate disclaimer:  The views expressed by me on public mailing
lists, forums, blogs, & IRC channels are my own and do not necessarily reflect
the views of Oracle.  [I don't say this often as I hope it's fairly obvious,
but it's always true.]

> there would be no road-blocks to release Solaris-like OSes built
> with Oracle technology?

I can't speak to legal ones, but as I've mentioned before in some forums,
you can't count on Studio being able to run on a non-supported OS forever.
Sooner or later it is likely to depend on or expect some change made in
Solaris that's not in illumos or OpenIndiana - whether that's as simple
as changes to the system headers or libraries, or a more complex interaction
with other system provided tools or interfaces.

While Studio still supports Solaris 10 and as long as OI maintains Solaris 10
compatibility, you'll probably not have too many problems with support for
existing features (new ones may require new OS'es), but right now Solaris 10 is
the baseline for support, and it is around the halfway point of it's support
lifecycle (2005-2021), so the bar will be raised at some point.

This is why Rich & others have put so much effort into giving you a forward
roadmap with gcc.  It's not just about the cost or license terms, but about
having a viable future and control of your destiny.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com