[OpenIndiana-discuss] migrating zfs pools

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Jul 18 18:33:52 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-18 20:21, Gary Gendel wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Lots of great info here, thanks.
>
> I was thinking about adding/removing the disks as mirrors.  My first
> concern was the different disk capacities, geometries and 4k vs. 512
> byte block sizes.  Then I realized that the end result reduces number of
> mirrored disk sets by one.  Since there is no way to downsize the number
> of mirror sets in a pool, it looks like that approach is not feasible.
> Zfs send/receive it is. :)

Yes, for the sector size change - it is probably best to migrate so.
You might probably attach your old disks to the new (degraded, if
you follow my suggestion) tlvdevs, if they are same-sized, and they
should store properly sized ZFS block components (i.e. 4k per disk,
so what if that is 8 HW sectors and not one?)

Even if not, you'd probably find ways of using the old disks -
perhaps as a backup pool for occasional replication? ;)

//Jim