[OpenIndiana-discuss] Defect zpool after replacing hard discs

Jussi Hamalainen count at theblah.fi
Sun Jul 21 09:20:13 UTC 2013

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013, thorsten.heit at vkb.de wrote:

> Because spare parts from HP are exorbitant expensive and come with only 6
> months of warranty I thought I'd better buy three new and bigger discs to
> replace the old 500GB ones, and ended up buying 3x WD1003FBYX from Western
> Digital (enterprise discs, 1TB) that come with 5 years warranty.

HP SmartArray expects the drives to have HP firmware. The SmartArray
controller sends proprietary instructions (surface scan, HW status
query, etc.) to the drives sometimes, which are not understood by
regular off-the-shelf disks.

I've seen this kind of behaviour before when I plugged in non-HP U320
SCSI disks into a DL380 G4. It seemed to work initially, but the RAID
array would keep going off line randomly until I replaced the disks
with original HP drives.

In new Gen8 ProLiants non-HP drives will actually be detected as a
hardware fault.

If you don't want to purchase HP drives then you also have to replace
SmartArray with a generic SAS (or SATA) controller.

--
Jussi