[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI on HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Thu Jul 25 07:01:10 UTC 2013

On 25 Jul 2013, at 02:57, Jarrad Piper <jarrad at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just received my Gen8 Microserver (G2020 model). Unfortunately the
> NIC's are not detected in OI's installer. It looks like it uses a Broadcom
> 5720 chip which is not supported. I have tried to use the latest Broadcom
> drivers for Solaris 11 but the NIC's are still not detected. For now I have
> popped in an older Broadcom Dual Port NIC. Also of note is that KVM freezes
> when booting a VM with this CPU (even with the suggested fix in the OI KVM
> Wiki).

I'm interested in one of these boxes as a fileserver/KVM host as well. Keep us updated if you make any progress! :-)

I don't know how recent OI's kernel and drivers are, but there are suggestions in the Illumos sources that the 5720 is supported.

The Illumos issue tracker's kind of unclear about this though.

https://www.illumos.org/issues/3056

https://www.illumos.org/issues/390 (which references https://github.com/joyent/illumos-joyent/commit/6ab6198a2608e8eaad25952200629bdcea12eb51)

https://www.illumos.org/issues/3812

Try an Illumos kernel/driver containing the above change. Using a current OmniOS or SmartOS build instead of OI might be necessary.

Chris