[OpenIndiana-discuss] build xbindkeys from source

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Jul 29 07:51:17 UTC 2013

"Bryan N Iotti" <ironsides.medvet at gmail.com> writes:

> I would look at three things:

> 1) your compiler flags are peculiar. You have four "-I." includes for
> the current directory. Why?
>
> 2) You are using both the debugging and optimization flags for gcc
> ("-g" and "-O2"). Do you want a debuggable executable or an optimized
> one?
>
> 3) The gmp.h header is a part of the GNU multiple precision
> library. Are the packages for gmp, mpfr and mpr installed?
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks much for the input... checking into it I find that gmp, mpfr pkgs
are both installed.  However, I find nothing whatever when I search for
'mpr' using the Pkg manager tools

Concerning the gcc flags... I did not edit the Makefile included with
the xbindkeys pkg.  I barely know enough to call 'make' let alone edit
the makefile (sorry for the lack of any expertise).

But also sort of assumed the packagers (packagors?) would know best for
most things.  So I just followed the included ./INSTALL file's basic:
'./configure, make, make a test if desrired, make install'.

Your point about -I. is well taken:
(gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.  -g -O2 -DFORK_FLAG=1 -DGUILE_FLAG=1
-I. -Wall -g -O2 -c xbindkeys.c)

Aside from the possibility of looking for files in the current (top
level of the pkg) directory; not only is it called but 3 in a row and a
4th instance just before 'wall' seems a bit excessive now that you've
pointed it out.

The bit about debug AND optimization flags does seem a bit ridiculous.
I suppose someone was maybe asleep at the switch doring Makefile
composition? And due to my own simple mindedness, I didn't have enough
sense to catch it.

I would gladly have run 'pgk install xbindkeys' instead but
unfortuneately for me there appears to be no 'xbindkeys' available in
the default repo.

I've probably been horribly spoiled by gnus source pkgs that most
often pretty much work with the basic ./configure && make && make
install. Which allows a wannabee to become 'builder dude'.

But do you think the combination of those two blunderish things are the
culprit or more likely the missing files?

Removing 3 of the -I. and what I guess is the debug flag
(-dguile_flag=1) does eliminate some of the chatter and looks like:

  reader at voi:~/Downloads/xbindkeys-1.7.3$ gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.  -g
  -O2 -DFORK_FLAG=1 -Wall -g -O2 -c xbindkeys.c

  xbindkeys.c: In function `catch_CHLD_signal':
  xbindkeys.c:441: warning: int format, pid_t arg (arg 2)

Also, can you enlarge a bit on what is meant by 'mpr'?  Could it
possibly be called by some other name by the 'Package Manager'?