[OpenIndiana-discuss] build xbindkeys from source

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Jul 30 02:10:52 UTC 2013

Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu> writes:

> There is a potentially easy workaround, though.  Looking at the docs
> for xbindkeys, guile appears optional.  It will use it if present, but
> you can tell it you don't want it.  Unless you're certain you need guile
> support, try building without it.
>
> So either roll the source directory back to a fresh state with
>
> 	make distclean
>
> OR (much safer) delete the source directory and re-extract from the
> .tar.gz, and then instead do
>
> 	./configure --disable-guile
>
> followed by make.

I sort of thought the devs who made the source tarball probably had a
bit of a clue.  Thanks for the reinforcement there.

Disabling guile allowed the build to go thru just fine.  Starting
xbindkeys appears to work as expected and my .xbindkeysrc file works
as expected... so apparently disabling guile... at least in my case,
has no important repercussions.

Seems to be just as handy as ever for setting keyboard shortcuts
quickly and easily

Thanks for the coaching.