[OpenIndiana-discuss] build xbindkeys from source

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Wed Jul 31 18:20:09 UTC 2013

On 07/31/13 13:18, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Sorry to be such a knothead here, but, what advantage would there be
> to writing keybindings in Scheme?

Besides the pure joy of using a lisp-like language?  ;-}

> I mean as against writing them in the notation of xbindkeys like these
> sort of notations:
> ,----
> | ## Key C+S + c chromium  started
> |   "/usr/bin/chromium"
> |    control+shift + c
> `----

If that's all you want to do, Scheme doesn't buy you much.  But it's a
full programming language, so if you want to get really fancy with your
key bindings, and you don't want to resort to having lots of
"$HOME/bin/my-script" invocations, it can be useful.

Google's your friend.  Try "xbindkeysrc.scm examples".  There are a few
examples out there, though (at least to my taste) none is particularly
compelling.

http://www.nongnu.org/xbindkeys/xbindkeysrc.scm.html