[OpenIndiana-discuss] shell script mutex locking or process signaling

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 1 14:02:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 01:52:01PM -0400, James Carlson wrote:

> Are your methods returning before the action they're supposed to take is
> completely finished?  If so, then that sounds like the underlying
> problem to me.  The methods are not supposed to exit until they're done
> doing whatever it is they do.  If they do, then the design of that
> service is incomplete.

That requirement is described briefly in the smf_method man page:

     The required behavior of a start method is to delay  exiting
     until the service instance is ready to answer requests or is
     otherwise functional.

If your method script starts a server process in the background and
then immediately exits, it is broken.  In most cases, the start method
should make sure the server is accepting connections, or otherwise
fully operational, before it exits.  Likewise, the stop method should
ensure that the server process is fully shut down before it exits.