[OpenIndiana-discuss] Destroying unavailable ZFS dataset

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Sat Jun 1 21:00:18 UTC 2013

> In about October last year, the SSD drives were split. This was
> because I transferred the whole thing in to a HP N40L box, which
> meant I could only use one of the SSD drives.

...unless you sacrifice the DVD drive.

> I'm in the process of transferring the system over to a FreeNAS
> installation, using the old SSD as the jail drive.

Do you intend to run some apps in the jail, or is it just a migration
aid and will be removed afterwards?

> However, with FreeNAS installed on a USB key and the old SSD
> stripped of partitions and installed as a jail partition, when I use
> ... zfs import ... (the new 3tbs are not installed at this point)
> ... it still shows the old "data" zfs set and of course, being
> unavailable because none of the old drives are present.

Are you trying to import from a FreeBSD running within the jail?
I guess you want to import the SSD into the "physical" FreeNAS
environment, right?  Was the old pool named rpool?  Try giving it
a different name, and/or using -F -R /tmp/root with the import
command.

> I am concluding that something on the old SSD drive still has a
> record of the old ZFS set which must have been stored somewhere
> other than the standard partitions ... I don't know where else this
> information could have come from.

Is there an /etc/zfs/zpool.cache in your FreeBSD on the SSD?
Maybe it gets confused by that.  Hmmm... try -c /dev/null while
importing.  Never done that myself though...

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"