[OpenIndiana-discuss] shell script mutex locking or process signaling

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Jun 3 09:32:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-01 02:05, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
> Now I wonder how I ever saw multiple concurrent instances of the start method running.  Did I really do it manually, by running "/lib/svc/... start" and not remember that particular detail afterward?  Was it a behavior that changed from 151a5 to 151a7?  (Why do I remember seeing the behavior?)  It seems unlikely that I would do that, and not remember it.  But I've been known to be a doofus from time to time.  So maybe.  Uggh, I hope not.

If your scripts use backgrounding or otherwise splitting into several
shells, the child shells often seem to have the same command line as
their parent. This may give a "visible" effect of several invokations.

> At present, if there's a problem bringing up some machines, and I want to terminate the virtualbox guest startup process, I guess I can call "/lib/svc/method/...  stop"  But sometimes that's hard to remember under pressure.

Well, with my vboxsvc you can use its command-line methods
(i.e. poweroff or poweroff-graceful) to signal the shutdown
of your VM and to cause its SMF wrapper to go disabled
afterwards; at least that's what should happen ;)