[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 6 21:19:28 UTC 2013

On 06/06/2013 05:15 PM, Saso Kiselkov wrote:
> Let's get down to brass tax here: none of the Illumos developers (and
> that includes me) particularly care about SPARC, because that platform
> has little to no future. Hardware is only available from one or two
> vendors at tremendous markup, which means the only ones who are going to
> buy it are large enterprise customers who are buying as part of a
> solution package, rendering Illumos on SPARC no more than a small-time
> hobbyist's project running on phased-out old clunkers.

   This is a pretty narrow view.  I respectfully submit that it doesn't
really reflect reality.  SOME of it, yes, but not exclusively.

   But we've already established that the Illumos crowd thinks the whole
world should be running on PCs...therefore Illumos just isn't the answer
here.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ