[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 6 23:03:47 UTC 2013

On 06/06/2013 07:02 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:

>>> Excuse me? Linux on the desktop has been and still is a goal. Maybe with
>>> Valve making Steam on Linux a reality this might take things a bit
>>> closer in terms of home desktops but business desktops is still a pipe
>>> dream.
>>
>>   Nah.  I see it (and use it) on desktops all over the place. Every
>> company I've worked for in the past few years has moved to, or is in
>> the process of moving to Linux for desktops.  Sorry!
>>
> Good for you. I'm not seeing it over here at all. I thought there would
> be a good chance with KDE3 and its ability to have an easy to use
> centrally managed desktop environment but then the KDE chaps decided to
> get a new toy.
>
> Must be nice to have people willing to move to Open/Libre Office and
> also away from Outlook's email/central calendar integration.

   Well, I do work in a technical industry, where people are a bit less
tolerant of garbage.  But here, even the "business" types (who don't
know any better, and who thing crashing and viruses are "just how
computers are") have long been tired of Windows and its crap.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA