[OpenIndiana-discuss] [UNSUBSCRIBE]

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sat Jun 8 23:35:03 UTC 2013

Sent from my iPad

On 8 Jun, 2013, at 8:03 AM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>>>   Sure it does.  I see it all the time.  If you disagree, cite examples.
>>
>> Central domain management including assigning desktop profiles is not
>> available. Nothing that works on the level of Powerpoint or Keynote.
>
>  Ahhhh.  Well you *may* have a point there; I don't work in environments
> that are that large.  But I have done large *datacenter* (not desktop)
> environments, and rdist works wonders for centralized administration in that
> environment.  Since everything is based on nice sane config files, that
> borders on the trivial.

Yeah, me too. Scores of servers that can be reinstalled for upgrading in a couple of hours with kickstart with Fedora and fully automated at that (step aside Debian Debian-install does not have the ability to configure and setup striped mirrors) but hey I only need to handle a few system user accounts, not hard at all.

It is a far cry from doing hundreds on desktops with over 800 users and a dozen desktop profiles. KDE3.5 would have made it much less painful with kiosktool but that got dropped with no replacement and GNOME has no similar tool that I know of even now.

>> The first would have been possible with winbind and KDE 3.5 but that's no
>> longer available.

>>>   It has here.  You need to get out more. ;)
>>
>> The whole of Hong Kong suffers from this.
>
>  Time to move.

As much as I personally hate Hong Kong's environment I was born here and therefore have no where else to go and besides there is no other place that is as relatively safe as Hong Kong. You walk around at midnight and not fear assault.

>>>   That's a popular straw man, but it just doesn't bear out in real life.
>>> Linux boxes (or OS X for that matter) just do not require the degree of user
>>> support that Windows boxes do.  They don't require the constant reloading,
>>> reformatting, de-virusing, etc etc.  Nobody that I've moved to Linux or OS X
>>> has ever needed any support of any kind past about the second day of use.
>>
>> Well, I was forced to learn to do Windows administration because that's
>> working env of my school.
>
>  Wow, it's SERIOUSLY time to move.
>
>> I have never had to do constant reloading,
>> reformatting or de-virusing. So in my case, this is a strawman. A complete
>> reinstall just takes a couple of hours too and I can mass reinstall if I have
>> to for that is what I do when I get a whole new batch of desktops.
>
>  If you've figured out how to make Windows machines reliable, you'll have
> been the first, and I suspect Microsoft will hire you immediately.  THEN you
> could get out of Hong Kong! ;)

Haha. Well, I don't have colleagues that go looking for smut on this primary school's computers. The reason that I have to do any reinstall aside from summer upgrades was Microsoft office problems so I really want to be able to got off that train not become a part of it.