[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposed Samba updates

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Jun 10 07:31:55 UTC 2013

On Monday, June 10, 2013 03:20 PM, Stefan Müller-Wilken wrote:
> Hi Gordon,
>
>> In case anyone wonders, updating components in "userland"
>> (or any of its derivatives like oi-build or whatever) requires
>> more than just getting the updated code to build.  Someone
>> has to test it (assuming you want the distro to keep working).
> Who is that someone? What does that mean in concrete? Are there well defined tests to pass? Who defines the tests? Is the process documented somewhere? Would be great to have transparency here...

I am my own guinea pig. I believe I am one who uses most features of
samba. winbind to join AD, zfs acls with AD account through winbind.
However, I have not done printing via winbind so I guess I won't be
testing that part of the samba toolchain. Oh, I stick winbind on LDAP so
ldap backend for winbind will be good in my case. I guess I won't be a
candidate for winbind ad/rid backend.

Then there is the you need to run for a bit before you see other issues
like the 'stuck' smbd processes. Those don't show up right away.

So Gordon, thanks for all the efforts you've put in on your free time
and the pointers you have given. I can at least have a running box.