[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposed Samba updates

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Jun 10 08:57:15 UTC 2013

Hi Stefan,

On Monday, June 10, 2013 04:18 PM, Stefan Müller-Wilken wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
>> Then there is the you need to run for a bit before you see other issues
>> like the 'stuck' smbd processes. Those don't show up right away.
> It is this "run for a bit" part, that irritates me. How long is that bit? Isn't it better to follow a more agile approach, push packages as quickly as possible to dev or hipster, make sure everyone knows that this is not 100% tested and then wait for a defined period before promoting them to stable. That way we have more up to date packages available. That's better than having 100% tested packages not showing up.

Surely you are not promoting debs and Debian style approach to this!
Joking aside, the smbd processes dropping out of the control of the main
smbd process can take up to half a day before it happens and a week to
build up an appreciable number to be alarmed and they have also started
within an hour and taken less than a day to set off the alarms and build
up to 4,000 such processes in a few days. I'm surprised that only I seem
to have these problems. Whether samba or kernel cifs-server, I seem to
be the only reporting the weird cases. I'm just glad that Ira, a samba
dev, also knows about these and has his own patches for his workplace
before he submits them upstream.