[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zpool version compatibility

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 16:50:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Heinrich van Riel
<heinrich.vanriel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since there is a split pool version is version 28 the highest that would be
> compatible between the releases or can I import a version 29 created in
> Oracle into Illumos?

No. Zpool version 29 is closed-source, so it is unlikely that anything
other than Solaris 11+ will be able to read it.

The incompatibility goes both ways, so a zpool created with the
current OpenIndiana (or anything Illumos-based that uses feature
flags) is unlikely to be readable by Solaris, unless you explicitly
create the zpool as version 28.

Cheers,
Jan