[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zpool version compatibility

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 16:59:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Jan Owoc <jsowoc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Heinrich van Riel
> <heinrich.vanriel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Since there is a split pool version is version 28 the highest that would be
>> compatible between the releases or can I import a version 29 created in
>> Oracle into Illumos?
>
> No. Zpool version 29 is closed-source, so it is unlikely that anything
> other than Solaris 11+ will be able to read it.
>
> The incompatibility goes both ways, so a zpool created with the
> current OpenIndiana (or anything Illumos-based that uses feature
> flags) is unlikely to be readable by Solaris, unless you explicitly
> create the zpool as version 28.

One additional thing to keep in mind is that recently the zfs
filesystem (i.e the version of the filesystem, as opposed to the
zpool) was also incremented in Solaris 11.1. You may need to specify
zpool version 28 AND zfs version 5 when creating the pool to ensure
Illumos (or anything other than Solaris 11.1+) can read it in the
future.

Cheers,
Jan