[OpenIndiana-discuss] Can't print on Canon USB Printer MP 230 (but yes on MP160)

axelle_apvrille at yahoo.fr axelle_apvrille at yahoo.fr
Thu Jun 13 20:16:06 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am stuck trying to use my Canon USB printer MP 230 on OpenIndiana
(oi_151a7).

CUPS sees the printer. When I print a test page, no error reported, but
nothing gets printed.
There is no exact driver for MP 230, so I tried a couple: MP 220, MP 160
with no luck.

I also have a Canon MP 160 Printer. I manage to print without any problem
on that one.

I tried to print via VirtualBox using XP as guest. But no way to get it to
see USB printers either (looks like
this bug to me: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3033). So basically, I
am stuck, can't print from OpenIndiana on that MP 230.

Finally, those printers are multifunction printers, and normally, the
latest sane-backend is supposed to support MP 230 (and MP 160) for
scanning. But I couldn't find the latest backend for OpenIndiana.

To conclude:
* MP 160 : printing yes, scanning no
* MP 230 : printing no, scanning no

Can anybody help?