[OpenIndiana-discuss] Android USB tethering on openindiana

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jun 14 12:14:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-14 13:50, Carsten Grzemba wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> has somebody experience with usb tethering of android phones for Openindiana or other Solarises.
> Could this work like a usb network card?

No, I haven't tried it with OI, but I did it with linux many years back
(like ten years or more, when GPRS was just appearing around here).
At that time the phone was presented to the OS like a USB (or even
native, with its cable?) serial port, and the modem-dialling software
was configured to use it with the connection strings from the cellular
provider. I think this ultimately performed as a proper traffic-rated
(not time-rated dialup) service.

So, this is what I'd expect from GPRS-modeming today, if I were to
need restarting my attempts. As for tethering - I think the term
describes the use of an (android) phone as a local Wifi access point
with GPRS WAN connection. Or does it apply to USB and other links
(BlueTooth? IrDA?) as well?

//Jim