[OpenIndiana-discuss] HBA failover

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Mon Jun 17 14:12:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

it occured to me that obviously some ZFS Storage systems only feature a
single SAS HBA, including the ZFSSA 7320. At least, as far as I understand.
 From what I saw in the 7320 documentation, each of the two HBA ports is
connected to each of the two ports of a shelf, which should protect from
the failure of a single cable, SAS Expander or drive controller (using
dual ported drives). My understanding is that this topology is drawing
upon MultiPath. But that still should make the HBA a SPOF, shouldn't it?
As HBAs are a quite cheap commodity, I wonder why I even don't see a
secondary HBA as an option for SUN ZFSSAs, or other appliances like the
Netgear ReadyNas.

Thanks for any hints on how to exclude the HBA as a SPOF without using a
cluster.

BR,

Sebastian