[OpenIndiana-discuss] HBA failover

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Mon Jun 17 20:36:12 UTC 2013

Dear Bill, Peter, Richard, and Saso.

Thanks for the great comments.

Now, changing to reverse gear, isn't it more likely to loose data by
having a pool that spans across mutiple HBAs than if you connect all
drives to a single HBA? I mean, unless you make sure that there are
never any more drives served by one HBA alone (single-ported SATA
drives) in a leaf VDEV than can be tolerated by the provided redundancy,
a VDEV in the pool could become unavailable upon HBA failure, ultimately
leading to loss of the whole pool? That is, given that the failure of
the HBA would not lead to an immediate crash of the host which would
make it identical to the previous scenario. I'd claim that such failures
are probably not handled, and so the consequences are not predictable.
Similar scenarios are feasible if one disk shelf dies completely, and
the pool spans across more than one.
I have personally seen a single vdev in a pool to go down by drive
incompatibility, and when I had to decide to give up the pool or try
recovery, I got the impression from iostat that there probably had been
transactions to the remaining VDEVs, making the recovery forensics. Not
sure if this was indeed accurate, but then I was jumping to the
conclusion that an immediate, hard crash would have been preferable over
a slow melt-down. Prejudice or fact?

Best regards,

Sebastian