[OpenIndiana-discuss] Odd Samba/winbind issue

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Fri Jun 21 10:18:23 UTC 2013

On 21/06/13 07:15, James Relph wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies for cross posting, but I'm not sure if this is an Oi issue
> or a cswsamba issue.  I've installed cswsamba (3.6.15) and
> cswsamba_winbind on an OI box (151a7).  I've got it bound to AD fine,
> and winbind itself seems to be operating perfectly (I've actually got
> netatalk happily authenticating AD users via winbind).  If I run
> wbinfo -u or getent passwd, I get the expected information back.

I'm maintaining that package, I do want to keep it running on OI as
well, so it's good to know it's working there.

> Oddly though Samba itself isn't authenticating users.  If I try and
> login (with a few variations of DOMAIN\username or username at DOMAIN)
> it just kicks it back as an unknown user (see below).  The only thing
> that I can think of is that the cswsamba is actually still calling
> the previously installed (but turned off) winbind that I installed
> with the original OI samba install.  With that not running though I
> wouldn't have thought that would have happened (but if that could be
> it - how do I make sure that cswsamba uses  cswsamba_winbind).

It might be a Samba configuration issue, but before trying on a
Samba-specific list, we can surely dig here first :-)
Can you post the output of:

ldd -v /opt/csw/sbin/smbd /opt/csw/sbin/nmbd /opt/csw/sbin/winbindd

ps -edf | egrep 'smbd|nmbd|winbind'

Also, do you have any log on the AD side about the try, and how it looked?

> I have symlinked the csw nss_winbind libraries into /lib, I just don't
> know if there's anything else that could cause this.

While it s probably not hurting, I think that's not a good idea, and
should not be needed in any case.

Laurent