[OpenIndiana-discuss] running VirtualBox headless

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 04:11:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Jan Owoc <jsowoc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll try installing and running VirtualBox sometime over the next few
> weeks and post back if I have any problems that aren't addressed in
> the wiki.

I was able to follow along with the wiki, consulting VirtualBox
documentation occasionally, with the exception of two things.

1) in the case of "synchronous=off", I had an order of magnitude speed
increase for writes (i.e. during the install :-) ). Are there general
guidelines for what kinds of workloads are "safe" to have the ZIL
disabled?

2) I was able to get the machine to autostart using SMF, but it was a
lot of work; should I expand that section of the wiki with my
findings? I have no idea how to get it to "autoshutdown" when the
machine is shutting down.

Cheers,
Jan