[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS4/sharemgr problem with root allow

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Thu Jun 27 08:28:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am trying to mount a ZFS fileset as oradata on a OL6.4 client. Using
client defaults (=nfs4) I can't chown the mountpoint to oracle:oinstall.
The error I am getting is "invalid argument". So far my research, this
has to do with name resolution/idmap issues. I found some how-tos to
debug the client side, and according to these there are no configuration
issues on the client. All hostnames required will resolve fine. As this
is the first nfs4 share on the OI box I am playing with, my suspicion is
that the issue is there. Does anybody know where to look for the assumed
problem throwing error messages at? Messages is clean. The setting for
sharenfs is root at myol6clientIP. Another lead for the OI box being the
culprit is that sharenfs=root=myol6hostname (or any other hostname,
including those using nfs3 like my VSphere boxes) never has worked. The
clients would see the share then, but write access will not work. Same
issue when pointing at the whole subnet (root=192.168.99.0/24).
My idea is that both symptoms have a common source.
Ah - basic name resolution (nslookup) is working ok on the OI box. As
well idmap is working fine against the Windows domain it is integrated to.

Thanks for any hints.

Sebastian