[OpenIndiana-discuss] xvnc-inetd only accepting one connection in total?? Huh??

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Mar 1 17:31:53 UTC 2013

On 03/ 1/13 01:32 AM, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> Given the below quote from man Xvnc, I thought I could use Xvnc+vncviewer for
> multiple concurrent logins over the network, but no: It only ever accepts one
> connection.
>
> What am I missing?? Some detail in gdm??
>
> ----Quoted from the Xvnc manpage
>      In this configuration, connecting to :0 will result in a new
>      Xvnc  for  that connection which should display the standard
>      graphical login screen on that machine.

In both VNC & X11, display numbers uniquely identify a session - there can only
be one :0 at a time, otherwise when you started a new client with DISPLAY :0,
it wouldn't know which one to connect to.

I don't remember if there's any automated way to start additional vnc sessions
on demand (vs. simply preconfiguring a fixed number of additional displays) -
you can always just run vncserver to start more manually.

If it helps, the cheat sheet on VNC setup methods we made for our QA teams a
few years back (not all of which made it into the docs) can be seen at

https://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/oracle/x-cons/x-s12-clone/file/49256774ae10/open-src/xserver/xvnc/README.txt#l149

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com