[OpenIndiana-discuss] cp -p problem: extend system attributes

Carsten Grzemba grzemba at contac-dt.de
Tue Mar 5 08:32:00 UTC 2013

On cp -p <file> i get often an error:

cp: Failed to copy extended system attributes from <file>
cp: failed to set acl entries on <file>

if I look at the attributes, that files has the sparse attribut set:

grzemba at oi-kvm:~$ ls -/v db.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 grzemba other 102130 Mär 5 09:02 db.h
 {archive,nohidden,noreadonly,nosystem,noappendonly,nonodump,noimmutable,nonounlink,nooffline,sparse}

where I do not know why, maybe because the source files system is am NFS shared SAM-FS.

Can I modify this attributes?
Is it a bug?
Or how can I work around the problem?

grzemba at oi-kvm:~$ uname -a
SunOS oi-kvm 5.11 oi_151a7 i86pc i386 i86pc