[OpenIndiana-discuss] multiple IP addresses, same NIC

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Mar 6 13:37:20 UTC 2013

> From: Jim Klimov [mailto:jimklimov at cos.ru]
>
> 1) Why not use VNICs to avoid the MAC-related problem altogether?

Yessss...  That did it.  Problem solved, thank you.
I have never used VNIC before ... it took very little googling to figure out what you were talking about, figure out how to use it, and make it work.  Again, thank you.   :-)

> 2) Can you run the VPN client on the client computer so that it "has"

Long story short, thanks for the idea, but due to technical problems, it would be a huge hassle, and not available in the near future.  In fact, I already have the VPN client, and I already use it.  But I can only access the LAN that's directly attached to the VPN server.  If I need to hop across another router to reach another subnet, that requires the "hairpinning" feature which we don't currently have.  It would be a hassle to make that work.

I am totally satisfied with the present solution however.  :-)  The vnic was the magic I was looking for.