[OpenIndiana-discuss] multiple IP addresses, same NIC

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Mar 6 19:56:08 UTC 2013

> From: Robbie Crash [mailto:sardonic.smiles at gmail.com]
>
> This is something that should be handled at the router, not at the client
> in software.

It turns out, I reached a conclusion with the NAT possibility.  In pfsense, you can NAT traffic before it goes across an openvpn, but you can't NAT traffic before it goes across an ipsec vpn.  (Just a limitation of their software, until at least the next release, when they *might* add that feature.)  At present, in pfsense, I would need one firewall to establish the VPN connection, and another firewall to NAT from that subnet to my internal subnet.

Thanks to Jim's idea of VNIC, I have a solution in client-side software.  So this thread really doesn't need to continue...  But it was an interesting and fun exercise to talk about.