[OpenIndiana-discuss] Xvnc woes

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Fri Mar 8 11:25:27 UTC 2013

I've tried to use the USE methodology here, but it comes up with a big
blank...

I have these two machines, as far as I can determine identical in all or
at least any "important aspect"... I think.

I have added the various entries in /etc/gdm/custom.conf, started and
restarted and restarted and disabled and enabled uzw and so on and so forth.

 From a third host I now do

vncviewer IPADDRESS

for the respective host.

To one it all works. Seemingly in a stable manner. I have tested for a
few days.

On the other host it doesn't work. Not at all. I get

vncviewer <address witheld to protect the strange>

TigerVNC Viewer for X version 1.0.1
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
Copyright (C) 2000-2006 TightVNC Group
Copyright (C) 2004-2009 Peter Astrand for Cendio AB
See http://www.tigervnc.org for information on TigerVNC.

Fri Mar  8 11:53:16 2013
  CConn:       connected to host <address witheld to protect the
strange> port 5900
  main:        End of stream

all the time.

gdm remains up, as does xvnc-inetd. There are no processes that can be
associated in any way with the connection attempt.

Ideas anyone?? What might be the problem?? I guess some config detail
somewhere, but I'd much rather know what the problem was than just do a
clean install and see if a pristine system would fare better...

I tried nmap -A -v to both, and the difference is entirely due to the
visibly successful vnc sessions to the functional one.

I hate these Huh, WHAT??? sessions with computers.