[OpenIndiana-discuss] cp -p problem: extend system attributes

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Fri Mar 8 12:53:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 08:24:46AM +0100, Carsten Grzemba wrote:
> Am 06.03.13 schrieb Marcel Telka  <marcel at telka.sk>:
> > /usr/bin/chmod S=cs xscreensaver.sav
> >
> Thank you for this hint. (the oposite command to reset: chmod S-cs xscreensaver.sav)
> I investigate further: The same behaviour is on the Solaris 11 NFS Server, there on the SAM-FS:
>  $ ls -/c xscreensaver.sav
> -rw-r--r-- 1 grzemba staff 7276 Feb 25 2010 xscreensaver.sav
>  {---------s}
> $ chmod S-cs xscreensaver.sav
> chmod: ERROR: cannot set the following attributes on xscreensaver.sav: not supported
>  {nosparse}
> $ cp -p xscreensaver.sav xscreensaver.sav.0
> cp: Failed to copy extended system attributes from xscreensaver.sav to xscreensaver.sav.0
> $ uname -a
> SunOS fsrv 5.11 11.1 i86pc i386 i86pc
>
> Which is a inconsistent behaviour of SAM-FS for me (Bug).

I'd say the NFS is not involved here in any special way. At least my tests with
NFS+ZFS confirmed the sparse attribute works as expected. So it really looks
like the SAM-FS does not support the sparse attribute. Are you able to
reproduce the issue on SAM-FS locally (i.e. without NFS)? Are you able to
reproduce the issue without SAM-FS?