[OpenIndiana-discuss] Unexplained system shutdown

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 13:32:44 UTC 2013

--- On Thu, 3/7/13, Richard Lowe <richlowe at richlowe.net> wrote:

> From: Richard Lowe <richlowe at richlowe.net>
> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Unexplained system shutdown
> To: "Discussion list for OpenIndiana" <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
> Date: Thursday, March 7, 2013, 10:04 PM
> Did the system reboot, or turn itself
> off?
>
> If it rebooted:
>   When it came back, did it say it panicked?
>   Anything in 'fmadm faulty'?
>   Does running 'savecore' produce a dump?
>
> If it powered off:
>   I have for a while had a suspicion that we may
> sometimes shut
> ourselves down based on thermal info, and not actually say
> that we've
> done it.  (I have seen a system actually take itself to
> the "press a
> key to reboot" prompt, and not say why, for eg)

Just shutdown. No message at all.  Room at ~73 F w/ plenty of air to the unit. Previous entry in messages was 3 days earlier.

However, you bring up a good point.  I think I'll take compressed air to it and clean it.  It's been running 24x7 for a couple of years. No problems for the first year, but it's been flaky since I switched from 148 to 151 about a year ago.  However, I think that's the interrupt conflict w/ the nVidia server and the USB HID driver. Symptom is hung X server.

I've belatedly turned on Savecore, but don't expect that anything would have been saved. "famdm faulty -a" produces nothing.

Any suggestions on how to collect better data very welcome.  There are a great many thinly documented SMF options and I'm not sure where to even start looking through the source code.

Reg