[OpenIndiana-discuss] copying a reference installation to other hosts

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Sun Mar 10 13:11:34 UTC 2013

On 03/10/13 01:27 PM, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> Found some errors in the script. Questions interfoliated!
> Mind you, my Qs might just show my limitations.. bear with me, please,
> if so.
>

>> #
>> # prepare a bare minimum hosts file
>> # for network to reach source machine
>> #
>> cat >/etc/hosts<<EOT
>> ::1        localhost
>> 127.0.0.1  localhost
>> $IP $NAME $NAME.$DOMAIN loghost
>> $SOURCE_IP $SOURCE
>> EOT

> where do you define $SOURCE???

Lost when editing, that should be your source hostname

>> #
>> # prepare network
>> #
>> echo $DEF_ROUT>/etc/defaultrouter
>> svcadm disable nwam
>> svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default
>> ifconfig ${DEV} unplumb
>> ifconfig ${DEV} plumb
>> ifconfig ${DEV} ${IP} netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast ${IP_BASE}255 up
>> fi

> Something is amiss here around this fi...

Delete that, trash from editing.....

>> ssh -p 24 -c blowfish-cbc rootcsh@$SOURCE "zfs send
>> ${SOURCE_FS}@install"|zfs receive -d rpool

> port 24??? Blowfish?

Adapt to your local needs: blowfish is faster, delete the '-p 24'.

> This should work just as well with an ordinary user with the Primary
> admin profile
> and prefixing zfs send with pfexec??

You are on the live DVD, you should do 'sudo bash' to
gain root. I'm not sure that this will still work with
pfexec.

> Also, one must first create a snapshot BEname at install of the active??
Yep, snapshot a working configuration (we usually use a
working machine in production).