[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bash brace expansion in non-C locales??

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Wed Mar 13 07:57:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 08:01:16AM +0100, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> Can that confusion happen at the start of a word or only inside
> words?? And how many rulebreaking words are there, can they be
> enumerated??

It can happen only in the middle. Only in a case when the word is constructed
from two initially (semi-)separate words. In my example the word "viachlasný"
is "viac" + "hlasný" (it is something like multi+voice). It will happen always
when you combine a word ending by "c" with another word starting with "h". Such
combinations are not very often used in the language, but because they are
constructed as a combination of two words, you can construct a lot of such
words. The situation is even worse because those two (semi-)separate words used
for the construction might not exist as separate words in such form as it was
used for the construction.

BTW, the problem is caused by a fact that our "ch" (the single letter) is
equivalent to Russian "X", with the exception that we do not have a single
character for it (we probably should have). AFAIK, Czech language is similar
with "ch" (it is a single letter too), but I am not sure whether there is an
example of a real word where "ch" are two letters.