[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bash brace expansion in non-C locales??

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Mar 15 12:47:34 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-15 08:42, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
> Even more off-topic!!!
>
> You all don't know what you've been doing to me!  With all of the stupid computer problems I've had this week, all I've wanted to do all week is pack a bag and move to Moravia, where my (German) ancestors came from!  Live a nice, simple, quiet life, without from computers....
>
> Would the little bit of Russian I learned in college 25 years ago help there?

I guess not, even being a native speaker and writer (journalism, blogs,
tech-docs) of Russian is of a moderate help to learning Czech. I'd say
that the groups comprised of non-Slavic speakers had better progress
initially, because they were not hampered by expectations from their
mother language (Russian, Ukranian, Polish) and its different rules to
similar situations.

Some people have "native grammar correctness", perhaps from lots of
reading in an early age. It is in the way and ultimately gets damaged
or lost when learning similar languages, especially with the same words
regurgitated by local rules - with different doubling of letters (i.e.
"office" vs. "офис", more so in recently imported words like "traffic"
vs. "трафик" where there is little reading-experience of correct forms,
different vowels in the "same" roots, etc.)

Also, the Slavic part of Czech is closer to the pra-Slavic language of
approx 12th century, so in other languages some of the words changed or
even reversed their meanings. For example, in Czech "zapomnet" is "to
forget" and "pamatovat" is "to remember", while nearly same-sounding
words in Russian (~pomnit' & ~zapamatovat') mean the exact opposites.

But it is said that knowing about 3 Slavic languages is enough to be
able to communicate in others. I guess it goes also for knowing several
Romanic-Germanic languages - after the first two or three they all
become the same ;)

At least, regarding Swedish in the OP, to a German-only speaker it is
quite understandable and seems not much different from Norwegian,
Danish, Belgian (the german part), etc. I've seen job offers looking
for a speaker of "a Scandic language" ;)

//Jim