[OpenIndiana-discuss] What to do with 4k sector SATA drives... All fixes are for SCSI drives only!!??

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Sun Mar 17 16:49:27 UTC 2013

i think I've just got a problem because of machine age!

if I can muster enough courage .... ok, well, being retired, what can
harm me now?
I have my sata controllers in that machine in ide mode... gaah..

There was a problem in Solaris 11/Opensolaris around builds << 97 or so
that meant I had to do that, or else my machines would reboot at random.
I think I know the problem is gone since b134 at least, and I almost
remember,  I think, doing some kind of reconfiguring and recapturing the
rpool from a live CD on another box on account of that problem.
It's years ago so my memory of the event has been almost erased
I hope that will work without reinstalliing. All the devices and dev
trees naming looks very different.

Will I have to export/backup the entire thing to another disk, and
reconfigure and import/recv/something back, or can I  just change the
SATA mode and recreate the devices and dev trees from a live cd w/o
loosing the rpool?

I realised this when I happened to check things on another machine, by
mistake, a machine with proper settings and seeing very different
behaviour in the inquire command.

My  face is crimson!

Reinstall needed???  S----t!!!